Sunday 13 May 2012

Audio

For the audio of my piece I used Ableton to create a soundtrack to increase the believability of my whole project.



Above you can see the screen grab of my Ableton file.

To start constructing the audio I sourced two alarm rings from freesound.org. I then asked a willing participant to record some verbal aspects to the piece such as the yawn that starts the scene and also the frustrated tut, annoyed groan, angry ringing and the wobble at the end of the piece. The alarm sound effect was quite harsh in tone, so I added reverb so create a more natural sound, that I felt worked better.

I used one alarm for the initial ringing scene and combined two for the frustrated ringing section to demonstrate a louder and more angry sound that coincides with the angrier expression of Terry. I also added a ticking audio section for when Terry looks up and watches his hand move to the 'O'clock' position. After the verbal sections were recorded they were synched to the video. I then sourced a glass smash file from freesounds.org to use for when Terry falls at the end as I couldn't find an actual alarm clock smashing sound effect. This smash didn't work quite how I wanted so I used a low pass filter so it sounded more like a bell, and the sound of an alarm clock fall instead of a glass.

Finally I added the melodic piano version of  'Hickory Dickory Dock' as an intro and outro. I faded out the tune at the beginning as I faded in the ticking. I decided on using this tune as a theme tune due to it being instantly recognised by children and adults alike, instantly creating the idea of a clock based animation. I used the tune at the end to complete the sequence, to balance the piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment