Tuesday 14 February 2012

Facial Expressions - Generic Villains


 Here I tried my hand at sketching some expressions that I found online, giving them life with just a few features and strokes of the pen. I feel this process has helped me immensely to gain an appreciation of the fact that there are two key areas of expression in the face that depicts the most emotion - the mouth and even more importantly the eyes!



After the market research I generated a quick and basic mind map of the main and most common features of a cartoon villain.





A quick tutorial sketch that I found on youtube later (at the address below) and I felt ready to create my own generic villainous characters;







 On the left is my generic male villain and on the right a female version. Personally speaking I prefer the male villain, whether that be impressed upon me by the multitude of male villains versus the disproportionate number of their female counterparts I am not sure, however for my project I think I am going to focus on a male villain.


Below I have created a less realistic cartoon villain using the traditional vampire idea of 'evil' (complete with pet dog... of course?)






2 comments:

  1. Some really good reference material here - it is a shame that your You Tube video is showing an error message

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jo, I have now embedded the YouTube video, hopefully now you can view it

    ReplyDelete